Do you know your brain typically functions in two very distinct ways? Daniel Kahneman outlines these two systems in his book, Thinking, Fast and Slow. He tells us of System 1 and System 2. For a simple explanation, System 1 is the immediate response we have to a situation. System 2 is our thought-out response that comes after thinking through the situation or problem.
One of the basic premises of the book is that engaging System 2 requires effort and we tend towards the least effort in our decision making. Many fascinating implications follow from this observation. In this brief post I will focus on just one question below.
How Do You Make the Hard Choice the Default Choice?
- make it easy
- make it unavoidable
- make it apparent
- make it cool
- make it worthwhile
- make the immediate effects known
- make it short
- get it started before you actually want to do it
- make preparations before you begin
- make it a commitment
- make it visible
- make it part of a larger pattern or routine
- make it easy to forgive mishaps or forgotten commitments
How do you make your hard choices easier?